Thursday, October 22, 2009

THROWBACK THURSDAY


Throwback Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Jenny at Take Me Away.  It's a time for participants to recognize older books, maybe one you've always wanted to read, or one of your favs from your younger years.

I have never done this meme before, but the book that immediately comes to mind for me is one of my all time favs from my young adult years.  I loved this book so much that it was the first book I ever re-read, and I have since re-read it about a half dozen times.  In fact, I haven't read it in quite a few years so a re-read is in my near future. 

The book is: 

CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR by JEAN M. AUEL


Here's the blurb from Amazon:

When her parents are killed by an earthquake, 5-year-old Ayla wanders through the forest completely alone. Cold, hungry, and badly injured by a cave lion, the little girl is as good as gone until she is discovered by a group who call themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. This clan, left homeless by the same disaster, have little interest in the helpless girl who comes from the tribe they refer to as the "Others." Only their medicine woman sees in Ayla a fellow human, worthy of care. She painstakingly nurses her back to health--a decision that will forever alter the physical and emotional structure of the clan. Although this story takes place roughly 35,000 years ago, its cast of characters could easily slide into any modern tale. The members of the Neanderthal clan, ruled by traditions and taboos, find themselves challenged by this outsider, who represents the physically modern Cro-Magnons. And as Ayla begins to grow and mature, her natural tendencies emerge, putting her in the middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.

What I love about this book is simple, the supurb storytelling.  Jean Auel takes the reader back in time with such authenticity you feel like she actually lived there.  I am a sucker for a female heroine that is a healer and uses herbal medicine to treat people.  Which is probably why I love the Outlander books so much.  This is something I have an intense interest in in my own life, and I long for the old days when life was less about technology than about the hard physical labour and relying on eachother to survive.  This was my favourite of the series, as the other books, to me, did not live up to the perfection of the first one. 

And on a completely non-meme note, I just HAD to share, because I can HARDLY EVEN BELIEVE it, but my review for 360 Degrees Longitude is going to be PUBLISHED IN THE NEXT PRINTING OF THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am beyond words and stupified with gratitude for John Higham asking me if it would be "okay" to put my review in the 3rd printing of his book.  Um... YEAH!!!!!!!!!    Honestly?  This is something I never dreamed could happen to me, and his book is one I so passionately believe in and really think everyone should read it as it is a FANTASTIC debut memoir. 

I am going to now continue my day atop cloud nine and hope you and yours have a wonderful one as well!!!

10 Blabs:

Christine said...

I have always wanted to read this book. I have it and am not sure why I have not taken the plunge. Nice review, may have to dig it out.
By the way, stop by, I have something for you:
http://booktumbling.com/2009/10/21/awards-and-this-and-that/

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Congrats on your review getting published. How exciting!

And I have all of the Jean Auel books but have never read them. I know..(shaking my head)

Unknown said...

I've never read this book, but it sound like a really fantastic story.

Congrats on having your review published! That is so exciting!!

Unknown said...

Wow! That is great... what fun. :)
Congrats.

Unknown said...

I just read The Clan of the Cave Bear last month and absolutely loved it.

Congratulations!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

How cool is that! Congratulations on being 'published'! Oh, and I've always wanted to read Clan of the Cave Bear. I own it but haven't read it yet. Thanks for reminding me!

Sophia (FV) said...

Oh I love Clan Of The Cave Bear. I haven't read it in years! Must remedy that. Congratulations on having your review published! That's so cool!!

Jenny said...

Lisa, that's amazing!!!! Yay and congrats!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Congrats on being published!

I haven't read COTCB but my husband has encouraged me to add it to my TBR.

I'm new to your blog and am enjoying it immensely!

Lisa said...

First of all, thank you all SO MUCH for your congrats to me. (blush) I still can't even believe it. I guess I'll believe it when I see it!

And Patti! Thanks for your comment and for stopping by! I just went by yours and you have a great blog! We have 2 kids with a big age difference too, two girls 9 and 2!

:)

Post a Comment